On 12 December 2018, the European Commission (EC) approved five large infrastructure projects (LIPs) of Estonia-Russia Cross Border Cooperation Programme (Programme).
Over 20 million euros of Programme grant will be invested to Estonia-Russia border area through implementation of joint cross-border activities. The total cost of LIPs with partners contribution is 25,3 million euros.
The EC`s positive decision gives the Programme basis for awarding grant contracts to projects. The contracts must be signed by 30 June 2019 at the latest, but before the project partners have to comply with conditions set by the Programme Joint Monitoring Committee.
Approved investment projects contribute to the preservation of cultural heritage of the border region, the improvement of tourism and business potential, the development of the Lake Peipsi area and environmental protection, as well to the modernization of the Estonia-Russia border crossing point.
Supported Large Infrastructure Projects of Estonia-Russia CBC Programme 2014-2020:
- Improvement of the accessibility of the remote areas in South-East Estonia and Pskov region for traditional entrepreneurship and sustainable development (SME ACCESS);
- Economically and Environmentally Sustainable Lake Peipsi area 2 (Common Peipsi 2);
- Development of the unique Narva-Ivangorod trans-border fortresses ensemble as a single cultural and tourist object. 2nd stage (Narva-Ivangorod Castles 2);
- Development of historical riverside protection area in Narva/Estonia and Ivangorod/Russia III stage (River Promenades III);
- Complex reconstruction of border crossing points in Shumilkino (the Russian Federation) and in Luhamaa (the Republic of Estonia) (BCPs Shumilkino-Luhamaa).
All project activities financed by the programme shall end on 31 December 2022 at the latest.